Dodgerslist Successes page 4

Home | Successes: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

Jeannie Fazio

When 5 year old Winnie arrived at her new foster home on Sunday, June 9, 2002, she was partially paralyzed and grossly overweight at 21 lbs. Although she could intermittently hobble (with one leg dragging behind her), for the most part, she could not walk on her own. It was during those frequent times when Winnie had no choice but to literally drag her butt across the floor in order to get around. After surgery and 8 weeks of intense rehabilitation, Winnie is now walking and healthy, weighing in at a svelte 18 pounds. She is also in her permanent home with the foster family who fell deeply in love with her.
Although Winnie initially had a difficult time in getting along with her new canine siblings, with patient, consistent training and love, she is now calm and well-adjusted since learning that with her new family she is safe and secure.

Trudy Coldwell

Ginger wouldn't come up the steps so I knew there was trouble. I took her to a recommended specialist and he said medication and crate rest. Only over a weekend I could see she was much worse so I took her right back. After two x-rays and an MRI he found a blood clot on her spine which he says is 20% occurrence in dachs (news to me). After the operation she had lost so much muscle tone and couldn't walk. He said she would. Well it was more like two steps and her legs gave out. She was a genius at getting out of the cart he had lent me so on one visit took it away so it was then up to her. Many years ago, I had one mini dachs that had unsuccessful surgery when the specialist (genius) I wanted had left for the day and another did it. This successful vet is now retired and out of the area. I took care for this dachs for about two years when another vet said to put him down (at this point I could see he wasn't improving). I took this dachs to have acupuncture for many times with no response. Unfortunately there was no underwater treadmill then of which I was aware at the time. I attribute this to Ginger's current success. She is walking and when I took her where there is a sidewalk, she walks so fast. Then I realized it's probably because it's so much easier than walking underwater! I'm hoping to see more strength from her back legs and with time and continued exercising I believe she will get this. It's Spring now and she is out in the backyard daily (weather permitting).

Rae Triggs

Note: Roxie is currently on a crash diet and has lost 7 lbs. Check back for an updated picture.

Roxie our 4 yr. old dachsie is a sweetheart and had never had any medical problems to speak of. On a Sunday morning in March 2003 Roxie was barely walking with her head down and hunched back. Monday we were off to the vet, he didn't know what to do. She had lost the use of her front and hind legs on the left side so he was thinking possible stroke but also tossed around the idea of a disc problem. We came home with medication and crate rest. This was not a problem, Roxie would lay wherever you put her and would make no attempt to move, at that point we were carrying her outside to do her job and back in. By the weekend she was not any better, possibly a little worse so back to the vet we went. That was a devastating day, his suggestion was to put her down because she would never have a quality life in the condition she was in. This was unacceptable to us so we brought her home, loved her, cried a river of tears, and then decided we would have to do something because our vet didn't know what to do. That is when we got on the internet and found Dodgerslist. I called Linda personally hoping for help and guidance which I got. She suggested taking her to the University of Illinois Animal Hospital which we did the very next day. Much to our surprise they said Roxie was not a candidate for surgery because she had pain sensation and on that day was trying very hard to walk and get away. Home we came with more medicine, crate rest, and new diet food. Several weeks went by and we seen little if any improvement so I talked to Linda about acupuncture. With her help we found a acupuncturist about 2 hours away. Both myself and my husband were very skeptical about acupuncture but figured what would it hurt at this point. Boy were we surprised when 4 days after her first and only treatment she was up walking and hasn't slowed down since. She is so full of herself on most days and is back to her old self which we love. When we try to take a walk she would rather jog, but mom and dad prefer walking. She is up to her usual antics and silliness. We would rather she didn't do any steps but she is usually in such a hurry, but she does them very well. Absolutely no jumping on or off the furniture because we figure that is where the problem originated. Without the help of Linda and Dodgerslist I shudder to think what would have happened. We are so thrilled to be on the Success Story page and weeks ago thought we would never make it here. So everyone hang in there and listen to what everyone on the list suggests, they've been there and done that. Time heals all things and a little acupuncture doesn't hurt...... Thanks to everyone who offered support and prayers. We are there for all of you. I do not post very often but definitely a lurker, I'm also lurking about somewhere. Hugs and puppy kisses, Rae, Fred, and Roxie xoxoxoxo

Debbie Young

Our 9 year old dachshund, Maggie, began having cervical disc problems in the beginning of February 2003. She was having severe muscle spasms in her neck area and acting very lethargic. Maggie was treated with prednisolone and strict cage rest for 8 weeks. After the crate rest, we still didn't let her do much of anything, since we were scared that she would reinjure herself. She was hardly even walking around yet. At the end of April, Maggie began acting listless again. Her neck spasms reappeared the following day. Her regular vet prescribed more prednisolone and said that he would like to see Maggie avoid surgery if she could, unless she started to show signs of paralysis.
Over the weekend, she was still not acting any better, so her vet gave us Torbutrol for the pain and Rimadyl, to see if that would work better. After hearing the horrible stories about Rimadyl, we took her off of it the next day, and put her back on prednisolone. Maggie got worse the next week after she barked at the mailman knocking at our door, and also at a cat that was outside. Her vet prescribed Robaxin to help relax her muscles, and gave her a shot of steroids and pain medication. We were also planning on trying acupuncture. At this point her severe spasms would last hours and she would not even move; she would just collapse on the couch, and lay still. It was so hard to see her this way.
The day after she received the shots and muscle relaxer, she got even worse. She would not lift her head to drink and we had to mash her food so that she could eat. Later in the day, she wouldn't even lift her head to eat soup from a spoon since she was in so much pain. When we took her outside, her front right paw started to curl under, and her back right leg gave out. We rushed her to the emergency vet (where her neurologist practices) after these signs of paralysis. There was nothing left to do but surgery. She was in surgery the next morning for a severe rupture between discs c-2 and c-3 in her neck. The neurosurgeon also fenestrated the other discs, to assure that they would not rupture later on.
Maggie is now totally pain-free and back to her normal personality. Itıs amazing that she can play again and do all of the things that she loves, thanks to her wonderful neurosurgeon. We love Maggie very much, and are so thankful that she has recovered 100% and is now a success story. Thank you to Dodgerıs List for providing such a wonderful source of information and support for our family. Dodgerslist would like to thank Dr. Steve Huber and Dr. James Cook of Miami FL for helping Maggie to recover.

Best wishes,
Debbie, Jim, Tim, Julie, Lisa, and Maggie Young

Stacey Roeseler

This is Chester! last month he started to walk funny. He has always been overweight with no success at weight loss. I didn't think much of it because he didn't seem to be in pain when I touched his legs or back. One day, his hind legs just went out from under him and he stopped walking. He was kept overnight at the vet and put on Prednisone. When we took him home, he was put on complete crate rest for 2 weeks. We have just started letting him out and he is walking just fine. Better than normal! Of course, we limit him on his fun, but he is getting better! I'm glad to have found Dodger's List for support and information! Thanks a lot!

Jan Witwer

Daffy blew two disk's when you was 5 years old. My vet messed around with all the usual trials for about 3 months before he sent her to MSU for an evaluation. I decided to do surgery, and she came out of surgery paralyzed. I was devastated to say the least. I was given two options, put her down, or take her home and take care of her as a handicapper. This was all before I joined Dodgerslist, and I didn't have any knowledge of what to do or any support. I put her in a K-9 cart, did a whole lot of water therapy, and exercises every day sometimes several times a day. She also had no bowel or bladder control. After about 9 months I found a holistic vet, that comes to the home and does acupuncture. She started the acupuncture, very aggressive at first, changed her diet, and put her on a lot of vitamins and supplements. Well here we are 7 years later, and Daffy is walking and pottying on her own, eating well, playing, and one happy little girl. She just had her 13th birthday. She has been handicapped most of her life now, and doesn't know any thing else. She is my soul mate, and because I have taken care of her and done so much for her, she is very cudley and clingy. I have had to make some changes in our life style, but it's worth it. I have never regretted bringing her home and taking care of her. I not going to lie to you that it is more work than having a normal dog, but you will never regret it. I take her for rides on my bike, and I have a stroller that she goes for walks in, and I carry her in a basket, when we go anywhere. I have ramps in my house and going out to the yard. Even though she can potty on her own now, I still express her, so as to keep that bladder empty. She wears diapers during the day when I'm at work, as she is a little incontinent because of her age. She is the only dog I know that is potty trained on the toilet. I live in Michigan and didn't want to go out in the winter, so I trained her on the potty. She can go potty anywhere I take her now. I have flown with her several times, she goes right in the cabin with me, and she has pottyed in the airport, and also in the potty on the airplane, (that was a real experience) as they aren't very big. I guess what I'm trying to tell you, is don't give up, work hard, and you might be surprised how much they can come back. The vets are not always correct. They gave Daffy only a 5/10% change of recovery. The only thing she can't do normally is run and jump.

Home | Successes: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10